Thursday, April 22, 2010

Safe in Panama!

Hello All!

Just wanted to touch base and let y'all know that I am safe 'n' sound in Panama! We all met up in Washington D.C. and had a grueling 7hr. orientation about the PC and got to meet everyone. After we went out for a drink and came back to enjoy all 2 hours of sleep (or lack thereof) before waking up and leaving the hotel at 3am. The plane ride from DC to Panama was something of a spectacle: all 54 trainees taking up half the plane and not ONE is conscious. I turned around and very single person I saw was completely contorted in their seat and mouth wide open. But we arrived in Panama around 1pm and got right to training. PC doesn't waste a second, well at least not in training. Headquarters is in this little fenced in community near Panama City right on the canal. We get to enjoy the views of the canal on our many walks to and from classes and presentations. The place is quite beautiful and convenient. We even found a bowling alley tonight. Meals are provided right now, and let me tell you, they are GREAT. Especially after a whole day of signing papers, taking pictures, giving blood and meeting PC staff. Today we learned what the different sectors do and the different projects that have been created. The sectors of our group are CEC (Community Environmental Conservation - thats me!), TEA (Tourism Education and something I can't remember) and SAS (Sustainable Agriculture Something). We also had language efficiency interviews and placement interviews today on our previous skills and experience. Tomorrow we get poked with a ton of needles and get our credit cards, sounds like a productive day to me!

We are staying in these cute little bungalow type houses which have AC, and we are all trying to take advantage of some of our last comfortable nights of sleep in a long time. At night there is usually soccer (futbol) and frisbee going on which is nice after sitting all day. Tonight we were throwing around and the frisbee went into the gutter on the road ... it wasnt our frisbee and Sammy who owned it wasnt there, so a couple of us walked all the way across the compound and found some cops to help us crow-bar the manhole up to find the frisbee. The cops was like "uh yeah sure... I'll do it tomorrow .... " and probably thought we were crazy for bothering him with something so trivial. But we found a security guard who viewed it as a challenge and they spent 15 minutes trying to get this manhole up for a freakin frisbee. There were 2 security guard cars, lights flashing, parked around this manhole. Every volunteer that walked by thought there was a terrible accident. Nope, all this for a frisbee. Anywho, they got it and we will continue to throw around every night ... away from the road.

Everyone I'm meeting is so friendly and cool, and I don't feel uncomfortable walking up to anyone and just starting a convo. In fact, several of us sat around tonight and talked about beaver deceivers (look it up) and sloth defecation for 2 hours. Totally my type of people. This weekend we take a field trip to somewhere they haven't told us yet, and then next week we move in with a host family to begin language, culture and skills training. Apparently it will be the most hectic, overwhelming time we've ever had - sounds like fun! I will be able to get online to update y'all here at headquarters, but then next week my access to the internet will probably be limited somewhat. Hope everyone is safe and sound and I'll be keepin in touch!

-Bless

2 comments:

  1. Sounds just like your cup of tea! I'm actually very happy for you (go figure!) and feeling better everyday about your new adventure!
    Keep safe and stay sweet!
    Momsly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless! When you mentioned your sleeping comrades it made me laugh out loud. I don't know about anyone else but that is how I always look on an airplane. I'm glad you arrived safe and it sounds like you're already causing trouble j/k. I can't wait to read more posts and enjoy your AC my dear (and good food!)
    Miss you !

    -PAN

    ps. Officially not setting a wedding date until July so I will post ASAP.
    pps. Wear your sun screen haha

    ReplyDelete